Monday, January 03, 2005

it's Shanon, my good friend!

Shanon was in Starmag yesterday. We work with the same company, but he will be leaving soon to pursue his dream to become FAMOUS! sob... sob... but we are happy for him. (please don't forget Wani and me).

Here's the article for your reading pleasure.

SINGER-songwriter Shanon Shah may not be a household name yet but his debut album, Dilanda Cinta (Lovestruck), set to be released in mid-March, will change all that. According to Pang Khee Teik, the editor of Malaysia’s best-known arts website, kakiseni.com, Shanon is a breath of fresh air in the Malay pop scene.

"He is definitely a promising star, perhaps the best thing to watch this year. Shanon is a very talented person with a beautiful voice. He’s got great charisma. And not only is he a singer and songwriter, he is also a social activist who champions human rights issues and gender awareness.

"When he first performed at No Black Tie (in Kuala Lumpur), the audience loved him. Everyone was thoroughly impressed by his performance, including (guitar great) Julian Mokhtar, who actually got up from his seat and bowed in reverence!

"That he plays the piano and sings at the same time is really amazing. What’s more, he writes his own songs too. His songs have a certain elegance and poetry to them."

The performance Pang is referring to was at the Songwriters’ Round held at No Black Tie in 2003. The year before that, Shahnon was the grand prize-winner of the ICOM Millennium Malaysian Patriotic Song Competition with his composition, Kisahmu Belum Berakhir. Last year, he won the Most Promising Artiste award at the Boh Cameronian Arts Award. Cheah Mun Kit, managing director of recording label InterGlobal Music Malaysia, says he signed Shanon on because of his individualistic style.

"He’s in a class of his own. The songs he writes are very different from the typical Malay music repertoire. I believe he has the musical flair to bring Malay songs to greater heights. His style is classic, somewhat trendy with a traditional twist to it.

"It’s too premature to discuss Shanon’s commercial success. But he certainly has great potential for commercial success!"

So, what does the man himself have to say about his potential? Surprisingly, the 26-year-old comes across as quite tentative.

"When I started work on the album, all sorts of insecurities crept up on me. I constantly had self-doubts about the quality of my songs. It took me a while to believe in myself. And when I finally did, it was a great feeling. Like a huge weight off my chest," says Shanon who is also actively involved in projects with Malaysian AIDS Council, Amnesty International and Sisters in Islam.

So, how does he see 2005?

"I think it’s going to be a very exciting year, especially with the release of my first album - I wrote nine out of the 10 songs. I know I have to push myself as a performer because the local music industry is highly competitive if not fickle-minded.

"But one thing’s for sure, I can’t wait to write the songs for my next album!"

p/s - "Dilanda Cinta" is definitely my most-waited album of the year!