Tuesday, June 14, 2005

istighfar

Seeking forgiveness from Allah swt.

I read this articles written by Khalid Baig and I choose to record it as a self-reminder to me.

"Truly, Allah swt loves those who repent, and He loves those who cleanse themselves."
[Al-Baqarah 2:222]

Tauba (repentance) and istighfar (seeking forgiveness from Allah swt) are among the most meritorious acts of virtue for the believers.

Tauba means feeling remorse for our actions or omissions.
Istighfar means expressing that remorse in words and begging Allah swt for forgiveness.

The act for which we perform tauba and istighfar is not necessarily a sin, or an act of disobedience to Allah swt; it also includes our shortcomings. We need istighfar to constantly purify and cleanse our heart. We are not born in sin, but we are born in weakness. We are prone to fall prey to the many temptations that are part of our test in this life.

"O Allah! You are my Lord. There is no God except You. You created me and I am Your slave. To the best of my ability, I will abide by my covenant and pledge to You. I seek Your protection form the evil of my own creation. I acknowledge Your favors to me and I admit my sins. So pleasae forgive me for no one can forgive sins except you."