Friday, February 25, 2005

all the small things

Everyone is always asked to look at the bigger picture.

“Think outside the box.”

“Visualise on a greater scale.”

“Globalise your concept.”

These phrases are sometimes tossed around during the course of a normal day, turning a simple conversation into something akin to a motivational seminar given by Anthony Robbins or Asiaworks (I heard they called Malaysiaworks for the one in Malaysia, I dunno…), albeit a much cheaper one.

I think the word “small” has gotten a bad reputation. I sometimes rarely sweat the small stuff; it soon becomes clear that it is the little things in life that get to me the most.

Let me think… hmmm…

Ask a person who spent weeks trying to finish a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle, only to find the last piece missing. Or a woman trying to lose the last, stubborn one pound. Oh boy, these can be really frustrating, isn’t it?

In my case, something as small as a road detour caused me to shift my entire routine. Instead of taking a mere 30 minutes to get to work, my journey time has almost doubled because I have to use the MR2 and face its “peril”.

Personally, “small” does not mean insignificant. As the world becomes increasingly hectic, I realise that one of the ways to keep life in perspective is to concentrate on the small things that make me happy, rather than the large that don’t.

So, perhaps the point here is not to simply treasure the small things in life. Perhaps, it is to realise that the small things can be the big things too.