chennai, the city in your hands [Part 1]
After all the fiasco, finally I’m in Chennai. The flight was delayed for almost an-hour apparently waiting for the Indian immigrant clearing up at the Custom Entrance. I just found out that today is the last day for them [immigrants] to leave Malaysia back to their own country. Hmmm… that explain all the chaos at the KLIA just now!
The weather is OK (almost like Malaysia) about 32 degrees during the day and 29 degree at night. I have to wait for almost 45 minutes for my luggage. What took them so long... damn it! I almost gave up. Our ride was already waiting for us outside the arrival hall. Traffic isn’t so bad at night. We reach Le Royal Meridian in 10 minutes.
I must say, Indian [in India] they are very service orientated. Smooth checked-in and all sorted out the minute we arrived. No, thank you to Zarah (our staff in Delhi office) who made the reservations. We stay at the Royal King Club. Sounds posh kan!
Tired? Not quite. I’m going to read the book I bought from the KLIA Duty Free Bookstore just now. I’m half way through already.
These are some quick city facts and advice from the City Information Counter:
Chennai is rich in tradition. Classical dance and music performances and concerts are scheduled for almost every night. Chennai is also the best place for gold jewellery, cotton, silk-cotton and silk sarees (remember the 10-pager shopping list?)
Some advice:
- Private Taxis
Available at Chennai Airport, Central Railway Station and near five star hotels. You can also call for a taxi. - Auto rickshaws
A unique way to travel. It is best to ask your hotel or host the approximate auto fare to your destination and fix a flat rate with the auto driver since most don’t run the meter. After 2100 hrs be prepared to pay extra. Hold on to the few honest drivers once you’ve found them! Some drivers now carry mobile phones. It’s a good idea to store their numbers. - Shopping
When buying in bulk, ask for discounts – shopkeepers do oblige. Most shops allow exchanges. Remember to save the receipts. - Etiquette
Most Chennaites respect convention, so you must take off your shoes before entering a house. Footwear is not permitted in most places of worship. Invitations Cocktails are more popular than wine. People generally drink until dinner is served. Dinner signals the end of the party. - Dress
Informal. Chennai is hot and humid. Cotton clothes and open toes sandals will keep you cool. Skimpily dressed women (no matter how normal by western standard) will be stared at (lucky I only packed light-summer clothes). Suits recommended only for business meeting. Otherwise, wear jeans or skirts and you won’t feel uncomfortable. - Buses
Not for you. - Eating out
The star hotels have upscale bars and pubs. Restaurants are open till around 2300 hrs. Some roadside eateries do brisk business beyond midnight. - Health
Drink bottled water. Carry toilet paper. It may not always be available (are-you-kidding-me?). - Crime
Chain snatching is common on poorly-lit-streets. Do not wear thick gold chains or flash wads of notes. - Tipping
10% is rule-of-thumb and you can certainly pay more if you are happy with the services. - Gratuitous Advice
Smile. And the world will smile at you. It makes everyone feel better.
<< Home