the least I can do
It was very satisfying after all the efforts we put it, finally paid off.
Alhamdullilah, Zawardy will be flying to the US tonight for the legal proceedings. His mother whom I call makcik called me last Saturday (11th June) asking for a favor on Zawardy’s visa application. According to him, it takes about 2 weeks to get the visa cleared due to some US Embassy’s requirement. His flight is on 16th June (Thursday). I doubt I can persuade the embassy people to do some kind of express clearance. To be honest, I wasn’t sure how I could help him because I am no longer with the scholarship department. Obviously, as usual, I told makcik that I’d try my best.
Zawardy has to be present for a legal matter regarding injuries he received in a fire that occurred at a dormitory while attending the University of Texas, Austin, Texas. He needs to prepare for and attend his deposition and the mediation of his case during the week of June 20, 2005. He would require to leave Malaysia on 16th June, 2005. Yes, it is today.
Come Monday (13th June) morning, I called Madam Baddy, our Corporate Security Officer if she can follow-up in Zawardy’s visa application. She then asked me to call “this guy" from the US Embassy and see how he can assist us. Called and sms’ed all the information required to “this guy” and he said to wait for his phone call. Have not heard anything from “this guy" until late yesterday. Not wanting to kacau him too much, I only sms’ed and e-mailed him for an update. This morning I got the reply form him.
His e-mail read as follows;
Hi Jamie,
Sorry for the delay. I got your phone message late last evening and at this point, the status is still the same. Please write to the consular section through email and they could answer your questions, regarding this matter.
klconsular@state.gov
Thanks
***
I had to break that bad news to Zawardy. He have to forget about travelling to the US tonight and need inform his lawyer that the hearing have to be postponed. At the same time, I asked for Mr. Colwell, the officer at the Embassy's number. Then again, Zawardy didn’t see any reason for me to do that anymore. My words to him were,
“Our battle is not over yet. Your flight is tonight; at least I have another few hours to negotiate. It is just a phone call away, anyway. Kalau tak dapat, at least we’ve tried all other means. Let me make this last attempt.”
Cut to the chase, Mr. Conwell breaks another shocking news! The visa is approved. I was so pleased and jolly happy. Alhamdullilah I'm glad I made that last attempt.
So, off he goes tonight.
***
Here’s a very brief story about the Zawardy and the incident.
Zawardy Ab. Latiff, a petroleum-engineering sophomore, suffered second and third degree burns over 45 percent of his body. He received life-threatening injuries in a May 1st blaze at University Towers dormitory. Unfortunately, Anoor Hajee his roommate, 19-year-old student died of smoke inhalation. He was pronounced dead on the way to the hospital.
Those who are interested to read more, please click to the following links;
http://tspweb02.tsp.utexas.edu/webarchive/07-10-01/2001071001_s04_Two.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/05/01/national/main288765.shtml
http://www.illinimedia.com/di/jul01/jul06/news/stories/campus01.shtml
Note: I was together with Zawardy in Texas one-day after the incident. I had to go there after a 12-hours notice from the Management to attend to the case back in May 2001.
Alhamdullilah, Zawardy will be flying to the US tonight for the legal proceedings. His mother whom I call makcik called me last Saturday (11th June) asking for a favor on Zawardy’s visa application. According to him, it takes about 2 weeks to get the visa cleared due to some US Embassy’s requirement. His flight is on 16th June (Thursday). I doubt I can persuade the embassy people to do some kind of express clearance. To be honest, I wasn’t sure how I could help him because I am no longer with the scholarship department. Obviously, as usual, I told makcik that I’d try my best.
Zawardy has to be present for a legal matter regarding injuries he received in a fire that occurred at a dormitory while attending the University of Texas, Austin, Texas. He needs to prepare for and attend his deposition and the mediation of his case during the week of June 20, 2005. He would require to leave Malaysia on 16th June, 2005. Yes, it is today.
Come Monday (13th June) morning, I called Madam Baddy, our Corporate Security Officer if she can follow-up in Zawardy’s visa application. She then asked me to call “this guy" from the US Embassy and see how he can assist us. Called and sms’ed all the information required to “this guy” and he said to wait for his phone call. Have not heard anything from “this guy" until late yesterday. Not wanting to kacau him too much, I only sms’ed and e-mailed him for an update. This morning I got the reply form him.
His e-mail read as follows;
Hi Jamie,
Sorry for the delay. I got your phone message late last evening and at this point, the status is still the same. Please write to the consular section through email and they could answer your questions, regarding this matter.
klconsular@state.gov
Thanks
***
I had to break that bad news to Zawardy. He have to forget about travelling to the US tonight and need inform his lawyer that the hearing have to be postponed. At the same time, I asked for Mr. Colwell, the officer at the Embassy's number. Then again, Zawardy didn’t see any reason for me to do that anymore. My words to him were,
“Our battle is not over yet. Your flight is tonight; at least I have another few hours to negotiate. It is just a phone call away, anyway. Kalau tak dapat, at least we’ve tried all other means. Let me make this last attempt.”
Cut to the chase, Mr. Conwell breaks another shocking news! The visa is approved. I was so pleased and jolly happy. Alhamdullilah I'm glad I made that last attempt.
So, off he goes tonight.
***
Here’s a very brief story about the Zawardy and the incident.
Zawardy Ab. Latiff, a petroleum-engineering sophomore, suffered second and third degree burns over 45 percent of his body. He received life-threatening injuries in a May 1st blaze at University Towers dormitory. Unfortunately, Anoor Hajee his roommate, 19-year-old student died of smoke inhalation. He was pronounced dead on the way to the hospital.
Those who are interested to read more, please click to the following links;
http://tspweb02.tsp.utexas.edu/webarchive/07-10-01/2001071001_s04_Two.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/05/01/national/main288765.shtml
http://www.illinimedia.com/di/jul01/jul06/news/stories/campus01.shtml
Note: I was together with Zawardy in Texas one-day after the incident. I had to go there after a 12-hours notice from the Management to attend to the case back in May 2001.
<< Home