Monday, January 31, 2005

health checks every woman should have

No matter how busy your are, take the initiative to go for regular health checks as it can greatly contribute to preventing serious illness before it's too late.

Why am I suddenly serious about this? 1) because of my current condition. I'm not 100% fit. 2) the last medical check-up was 7 years ago when I joined the company, and 3) I want to spent the rest of my life with Erja. When I'm gone, I want Erja to remember every bit of the moment we spend together.

So, hear me and let me share these. Erja would also need to know this.

Facts...
  1. According to the National Cancer Society of Malaysia, 1 in 9 women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime.
  2. In a regional cancer registry survey in Malaysia, it was discovered that the 10 leading cancers among females were the cervix, breast, ovary, lung, nasopharynx (I don't even know what this is), esaphagus, thyroid, colon, rectum and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

The risk gets higher as one gets older and it is essential that we go through the following health checks especially if we are in our 30s and above.

I got this from a magazine. (Notes to myself : perhaps this list may come handy, later)

  • Pelvic exam and Pap smear - Annually
  • Breast exam - Annually
  • Blood pressure - Every two years
  • Cholesterol test - Every five years
  • Hepatitis blood test - Any time
  • Blood tests for cancer or tumour markers
    (these blood test should not be done routinely to screen women without symptoms)
  • Bone density exam - Age 50 and above or younger if you have specific health conditions
  • Eye exam - if your vision changes

We know that we are the best person to take charge of our health as no one knows us better than ourselves. And most of the time, I reluctant to confront my fear...