chennai, the city in your hands [Part 2]
Meeting with the potential business partner was at 11:00 a.m. Indian Time (21/2 hrs behind from Malaysia). Driver came to our hotel around 10:45 a.m. Yes, the office is about 10 minutes away, but hey, these people should know better. Traffics in Chennai [India as a whole] is insane!
En. Rauff, our Liaison Director for India Office said:
"Expat don't drive in India. Jamie, you can't never drive here."
I said:
"Why not? I'm the marshal car driver, you know!"
He [En. Rauff] said:
"Jamie, no!"
My ego-centric mind and heart communicate with each other within. There is no way we [foreigners] drive in India. I must say that drivers here are very good and well-mannered. They change lane without giving signal, honk is the main communication with the fellow drives, no one curse or show their middle finger when someone cut que, hit red light is not an "offence"?, bla... bla... bla... Then again, I didn't freak out. These drivers drive like a pro - but not exactly Mika-Kimi pro.
We reached the office around 11:20 a.m. ABS, my team leader wouldn't like it but hey, it wasn't our fault, kan? My first encounter with Chennites. They are nicer people compared to Delhians. The President of the company actually showed me the ladies and waited for me outside. El-Presidente??? The meeting was very long - Indian loves to talk and keep it simple and sweet are never exists. They hosted lunch at one hotel [darn, I don't remember the name] and it is the oldest hotel in Chennai, build more than 100 years ago. Food are good and as usual I tried the local dishes. For dessert, kulfee anyone? Yuuummy...
Adjourned. Back to the office and continue the meeting.
Listened, wrote down something, checked sms, dreaming about saree, smile, menyampuk once in a while until 5:00 p.m. Then, rushed back to the Le Royal Meridien for another meeting until 6:30 p.m.
Finally, my KPIs [shopping list] will be fulfilled. The driver brought us to the saree shop. We spent about 0ne hour there. I used my charm, bargain for more discounts (on top of the discount) and no regrets. No thank you to my negotiation class. 8 pieces of cotton-saree for INR3800 ~ Rm370 [INR10 = Rm8].
One down - tomorrow will be accessories and books mission, after the meeting, of course!
En. Rauff, our Liaison Director for India Office said:
"Expat don't drive in India. Jamie, you can't never drive here."
I said:
"Why not? I'm the marshal car driver, you know!"
He [En. Rauff] said:
"Jamie, no!"
My ego-centric mind and heart communicate with each other within. There is no way we [foreigners] drive in India. I must say that drivers here are very good and well-mannered. They change lane without giving signal, honk is the main communication with the fellow drives, no one curse or show their middle finger when someone cut que, hit red light is not an "offence"?, bla... bla... bla... Then again, I didn't freak out. These drivers drive like a pro - but not exactly Mika-Kimi pro.
We reached the office around 11:20 a.m. ABS, my team leader wouldn't like it but hey, it wasn't our fault, kan? My first encounter with Chennites. They are nicer people compared to Delhians. The President of the company actually showed me the ladies and waited for me outside. El-Presidente??? The meeting was very long - Indian loves to talk and keep it simple and sweet are never exists. They hosted lunch at one hotel [darn, I don't remember the name] and it is the oldest hotel in Chennai, build more than 100 years ago. Food are good and as usual I tried the local dishes. For dessert, kulfee anyone? Yuuummy...
Adjourned. Back to the office and continue the meeting.
Listened, wrote down something, checked sms, dreaming about saree, smile, menyampuk once in a while until 5:00 p.m. Then, rushed back to the Le Royal Meridien for another meeting until 6:30 p.m.
Finally, my KPIs [shopping list] will be fulfilled. The driver brought us to the saree shop. We spent about 0ne hour there. I used my charm, bargain for more discounts (on top of the discount) and no regrets. No thank you to my negotiation class. 8 pieces of cotton-saree for INR3800 ~ Rm370 [INR10 = Rm8].
One down - tomorrow will be accessories and books mission, after the meeting, of course!
<< Home