Friday, December 16, 2005

i should have known better

Mak woke me up around 3:30 a.m. this morning.

“Dik, nenek sakit kuat. She is having difficulty to breath. Mak nak balik kampung. Adik ikut?”

There was a long pause from me.

“Mak boleh ajak Along atau Pak Teh? I have an important meeting to attend this morning”.

“Mak balik dengan Along. Erja ikut sekali, ya?”

I said OK and went down to pack baju for Erja.

Erja seems very excited even though she has to get up earlier than usual. I saw her packing Pinky (bear) and Emma (doll) in her PowerPuff Girls bag.

They left around 6:30 a.m.

While I was driving to work this morning, I thought of what I said to Mak. I was being selfish! Prioritizing my work above my family.

I remember few weeks ago, Nenek called me. She asked me why didn’t I to bring Erja back to Masjid Tanah on hari raya. She wanted to see Erja badly.

I feel horrible… horrible…