Wednesday, March 09, 2005

baby talk (part 1)

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

We all know what a pregnant woman is supposed to feel about her body when it bloats. How low her self-esteem sinks, how "unsexy" she thinks she looks, how nothing turns her on, how her entire focus shifts to the life within, how excluded her husband feels, how so many marriage collapse during this "ungainly" period in a woman's life, how most men can't bear the thought of sleeping with a woman as large as a house [I'm exaggerating], how hypersensitive a mother-to-be becomes, how "afraid" first-time parents are of hurting the unborn baby having sex, how life changes dramatically, radically and forever, once a a baby arrives.

Look, if there is resistance to the idea of having a baby, postpone it! Think about it carefully, think it through. It's a major decision which, once taken, is irreversible. You can't afford to a "rethink" once the deed is done. The trend these days is to postpone the decision - often till it's too late to have a biological offspring. Or not have a kid at all.

We [women] are too obsessed with our body. We do! I've been through it too. Unfortunately, we [not all] can't stop lamenting over our "ruined figure". Getting our body into shape is entirely in our own hands. If it matters to us that much, work out, eat smart and regain our old muscle tone. It's possible. And it's advisable, regardless of what our husband feels about it. I remember seeing my husband "rolled" his eyes at me when he saw me on the stepper when I was 8 weeks pregnant. Then again, we mustn't over exert ourselves. We need to be extra [extra] careful during the pregnancy stage. Let's not take any chance. Consult your doctor and if you can afford to engage a certified pre/post-natal instructor, do it.

I continued my fitness regime until the 39th weeks. I don't think Malaysians are receptive to the idea yet. I keep getting a weird look from people when I walked out from the fitness centre. The first couple of months were particularly tough because as soon as I found out that I'm pregnant, my husband was posted to the Middle East and only came back in time for the delivery. Having been married for six months, suddenly I had to be alone and had to go through the pregnancy without him. We only saw each other once during Hari Raya [we celebrated in Middle East].

I'm thankful that God gave me strength and courage to go through it. It was the greatest experience after all.