Wednesday, July 20, 2005

carpe diem!

Certainly, I’ve made some sacrifices that perhaps many not have been made by a man, but I don’t think it adds up to anything. I mean, I could resent the hell out of him for not being there throughout the pregnancy, for not changing as many diapers as I have, for not having to think twice about just walking out the door, for not having to feed and clean up. And I could have resented him for it, many many times. But then I remember that I chose to have children, too. I chose everything that brought me to where I am, and I am not prepared to risk it all just to prove a point.

At some point, there we are bound to sacrifice something for the loved one. I don’t believe we should genderise “sacrifice”. Without a doubt there are sacrifices to make such as time with family, but I don’t think that the sacrifices that I have had to make are any different from those of a man: especially if we are very driven to create something really successful.

Being a mother to Erja, I now share different perspective on the matter. Women have to make the greatest sacrifices ever; the sacrifice of self! Motherhood isn’t something that ends when your kids are all grown up. We worry about our kids even when there are 40 and you’re 60. Then we worry about their kids. I saw this happen to my mom.

Men simply don’t have that sort of connection, I think! Yes, they love their kids, but mothers go through something entirely different. A woman is forever changed when she becomes a mum.

At least that is what I feel, at the moment.